Skip to main content

What we do

We make decisions on state significant development

The Independent Planning Commission’s key role is to make decisions on large and contentious development applications in NSW. We only do this when certain conditions are fulfilled under the applicable rules (see Our Decision-making Process). When the relevant conditions are not fulfilled, the decision maker is generally the Minister of Planning and Public Spaces. 

Before a proposed development comes to the Commission for determination, the Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure (DPHI) will conduct a whole-of-government assessment of the application on behalf of the Commission.

Once a proposed development is assessed by the Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure (DPHI) and provided to the Commission for decision, the Chair of the Commission will appoint a panel, typically comprised of between one and three Commissioners, that will: 

  • hold targeted meetings with the developer, DPHI, the local council, and others
  • hold a public meeting where appropriate, or a public hearing if directed by the Minister
  • take and consider written public submissions on the proposed development
  • make a determination based on legislation and policy to either refuse or approve the development 
  • publish a Statement of Reasons explaining the reasons for the decision.
We make decisions in an open and transparent manner and determine each application on its individual merits and based on legislation and government policy.

What else we do

Provide advice

Advise the Minister or the Planning Secretary on any matter on which the Minister or the Secretary requests advice from the Commission. The Commission routinely provides advice to the Secretary in conducting reviews of Gateway determinations.

Conduct public hearings

Hold a public hearing into any matter into which the Minister requests the Commission to hold a public hearing.

Undertake planning panel functions

At the request of the Minister, undertake any function of a Sydney district or regional planning panel or a local planning panel.

Carry out other delegated functions

Undertake any functions under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 that are delegated to the Commission, and any other function conferred or imposed on it under that or any other act (including the Heritage Act 1977).

Issue Mining and Petroleum Gateway certificates 

The Mining and Petroleum Gateway Panel is a subcommittee of the Commission and has the legislated function of reviewing proposals for mining and petroleum developments on strategic agricultural land and issuing Gateway certificates. It also has other advisory functions.









Make a Submission

We recognise the importance of community participation in our decision-making process. Using our ‘Make a submission’ form is the easiest way for you to make a submission on cases currently before the Commission.

Make a Submission