



TRANSCRIPT OF MEETING

**RE: PYMBLE LADIES' COLLEGE SECONDARY INNOVATION
PRECINCT (SSD-79146716)**

APPLICANT MEETING

COMMISSION PANEL: CLARE SYKES (CHAIR)
JULIET GRANT

OFFICE OF THE IPC: JANE ANDERSON
ISAAC CLAYTON

**APPLICANT
REPRESENTATIVES:** ROSIE SUTCLIFF (Urbis)
GREG HASTIE (Pymble Ladies' College)
JENNY ROBERTS (Pymble Ladies' College)
BEATRIZ CALVETE RODRIGUEZ
(3XN Architects)
EMILY MALEK (3XN Architects)
SCOTT EGELTON (Pier Property Corporation)
JOHN PARNELL (Urbis)
BRODIE MILLER (Narla Environmental)
PERRY LETHLEAN (TCL Landscaping)
FRED HOLT (3XN Architects)

LOCATION: ZOOM VIDEOCONFERENCE

DATE: 3:30PM – 4:30PM
THURSDAY, 25th JUNE 2026

THE MEETING COMMENCED

5 **MS CLARE SYKES:** Good afternoon, and before we begin, I would like to acknowledge that I'm speaking to you from Cammeraygal land and I acknowledge the traditional owners of all the lands from which we virtually meet today and pay my respects to their Elders past and present.

10 Welcome to the meeting today to discuss the Pymble Ladies' College Secondary Innovation Precinct State significant development application (SSD-79146716) currently before the Commission for determination.

15 The Applicant, Pymble Ladies' College, proposes to demolish four school buildings and construct a six-storey building in the centre northwest portion of the Pymble Ladies' College campus. The project includes demolition and earthworks, tree removal, construction of the park for parked six-storey new building, minor changes to car parking and landscaping works. No increase to student or staff numbers is proposed.

20 My name is Clare Sykes. I'm Chair of this Commission Pane, and I'm joined by my fellow Commissioner, Juliet Grant.

MS JULIET GRANT: Hello.

25 **MS SYKES:** We are also joined this afternoon by Jane Anderson and Isaac Clayton from the Office of the Independent Planning Commission.

30 In the interest of openness and transparency and to ensure the full capture of information, today's meeting is being recorded, and a complete transcript will be produced and made available on the Commission's website. This meeting is one part of the Commission's consideration of this matter and will form one of several sources of information upon which the Commission will base its determination.

35 It is important for the Commissioners to ask questions of attendees and to clarify issues whenever it is considered appropriate. If you are asked a question and are not in a position to answer, you may take the question on notice. Following the meeting, the Commission will advise you in writing of the questions taken on notice that the Panel considers requires a formal response to. Any subsequent response or information provided to the Commission will then be published on our website.

40 I request that all participants here today introduce themselves before speaking for the first time, and for all members to ensure that they do not speak over the top of each other, to ensure accuracy of the transcript.

45 So, we will now begin. Welcome. And you would have all received the agenda. And as part of the agenda, we'd just like to introduce everybody on the call today, even though we met many of you on the site and locality tour this morning. So, if we could go around the call and introduce each other, so that we can also confirm that we have everyone on the call as outlined on the agenda.

MR GREG HASTIE: Clare, thank you very much. If I could introduce myself, I'm Greg Hastie, I am Project Director, Master Planning and Capital Works from Pymble Ladies' College. I oversee the works that will be happening.

5 **MS SYKES:** Thank you, Greg. Jenny?

MS JENNY ROBERTS: Hi everyone, and lovely to see you again. Jenny Roberts; I'm the Chief Operating Officer at Pymble Ladies' College responsible for all the campus infrastructure assets and Master Plan.

10 **MS SYKES:** Thanks, Jenny. Beatriz?

MS BEATRIZ CALVETE RODRIGUEZ: Hi, I'm Beatriz. I am an architect, I am Project Leader of the SIP.

15 **MS SYKES:** Thank you, Beatriz. Emily?

MS EMILY MALEK: Hello, I'm Emily Malek, Senior Designer at 3XN, working alongside Bea for the SIP Project.

20 **MS SYKES:** Thanks, Emily. Scott?

MR SCOTT EGELTON: Scott Egelton. I'm – oh, hang on, I've got a thousand things going. Apologies.

25 **MS SYKES:** I think there was a bit of relay there, Scott.

MS EGELTON: Yes, there was.

30 **MS SYKES:** No problems. So, Scott Egelton, Director, Pier Property Corporation.

MR EGELTON: Correct. Thanks.

35 **MS SYKES:** Thank you. John?

MR JOHN PARNELL: Hi, I'm John Parnell, I'm Associate Director in the Urbis Transport Team, working on traffic and transport deliverables for the development.

40 **MS SYKES:** Thanks, John. Brodie?

MS BRODIE MILLER: Hi, I'm Brodie. I'm from Narla Environmental. I've been overseeing the ecological aspects of the development, including authorship of the BDAR.

45 **MS SYKES:** Thanks, Brodie. Perry?

MR PERRY LETHLEAN: Hello, I'm Perry Lethlean. I'm Director of TCL, we're the landscape architects working on the project.

MS SYKES: Thanks, Perry. And Gaby?

MR LETHLEAN: Gaby's an apology.

5 **MS SYKES:** An apology. And have I missed anyone there?

MR HASTIE: Clare, we have Fred Holt, who is from 3XN Architects. He wasn't sure whether he would be able to join, he is not in Australia at the moment, but he has managed to move a couple of meetings around.

10 **MR FRED HOLT:** Thank you, Greg. I'm Fred Holt, Partner at 3XN and the Design Director at 3XN Australia.

MS SYKES: Okay. Thanks very much, Greg.

15 **MS GRANT:** Clare, we also have Rosie.

MS ROSIE SUTCLIFF: Yes, Rosie Sutcliff, Associate Director in Planning at Urbis.

20 **MS SYKES:** Oh, sorry Rosie. You're on the top of the list there. Okay. So, I think that is everyone with the addition of Fred, and we should have captured that for the transcript. So, thanks very much for joining. We will now sort of move through the agenda items that have been received, and we'd invite you as the Applicant to make a response to the items on the agenda and the response to the key issues.

25 For the purpose of dialogue and for the transcript, we will keep it fairly open in terms of any questions that may be asked, and invite responses as required. So, over to you.

30 **MR HASTIE:** Clare, thank you very much. What we'd like to do is to share the presentation that we issued about an hour ago to yourselves, we just would like to share the presentation, and which covers all of the items that are raised in your agenda.

So, Bea, is it Bea or Fred who will be taking us through it?

35 **MS CALVETE RODRIGUEZ:** Yes, I think we all, the whole 3XN group.

MR HOLT: Yes. I'll just introduce the first slide and then Bea will, and Emily will take over.

40 **MR HASTIE:** Thank you.

MR HOLT: Thank you.

MS CALVETE RODRIGUEZ: Can everyone see my screen?

45 **MS SYKES:** Yes.

MR HOLT: Thank you, Bea. So, this is the main arrival view that you just saw on screen. We all know the drive down the oval, it's quite impressive, one could call it the

‘postcard arrival moment’ with flagpole lawn. The Colonnade building, the jacaranda, all of this actually adds to, say, the heritage and presence of this campus, this quite verdant campus.

5 So, when we were designing the building, we wanted to pay reverence to that arrival moment, to the history of the colonnade building. We wanted to have a more human-scale arrival and allow the building to be a little bit more sensitive to that particular site.

10 So, the way we’ve actually considered the design is to keep it low scale, next to the arrival, next to the Colonnade, so not to dwarf this important building and arrival. And then allow the building to grow in height towards height which are the tall trees which you saw on site today, and it’s obviously an impressive campus.

15 Now, we did investigate other scenarios with the building, but every scenario would either dwarf the Colonnade or create more excavation within the site. So, we believe we found this nice balance between limiting excavation, allowing low volume or scale to be where it needs to be upon arrival as well as next to the Colonnade, and input height where we had height, where the trees from the north would then block views to
20 the building.

Thank you. Bea.

25 **MS CALVEGE RODRIGUEZ:** Thank you, Fred. Yes, so in here we are following the agenda we received. We’re just going to go through all the different concerns that comes with that.

30 So, first of all was the built form and the visibility from Avon Road. So, once we had consensus from the Council, we went back, contacted the survey and the arborist and we actually 3D modelled all the forest in front of the site, and our findings were that not only the building is actually sitting up to 70 metres away from Avon Road, but it’s also, the existing forest is creating the natural screening of the building.

35 Apart from these studies that we created, we went further and tried to re-create Avon Road, modelling the building and see how much the visibility will be. We acknowledge there will be glimpses of the building, the fact that we are maintaining that forest in front of the Service Road, it’s just the natural screen that we need for the building not to be actually be visible.

40 One last test that we did is we sit in the Service Road and we sent up a drone and we tried to understand how much of the building is actually visible at each level. So, here, in each of these images, you can appreciate how even when we are at the top of the building, at the plan view level, it’s still we have some sort of a screening from the existing trees. So, we feel confident that the visibility of this building from Avon Road
45 and also from the neighbours’ houses, it’s minimum.

And finally, we also at the Council’s request, we prepared this drone shot where we can actually see how that forest wraps the building. In addition to that, when the time passed, all the additional trees that are going to be planted as part of this innovation,

we believe that the only thing that's going to make this is to make it even better and cover even the building more through the existing and the housing.

5 **MS SYKES:** Beatriz, could I ask sort of a hypothetical question, I guess. That the design obviously very much is reliant on the existence of the visual screening, and especially in that northern façade. Did you consider a worst-case scenario where there was, say, the event that there was no screening or if there was damage or, you know, the mitigation of screening in that area, and does the merits of the façade hold up in its own right?

10 **MS CALVETE RODRIGUEZ:** Well, actually to the point, I think that's the reason why the building is sitting where it's sitting. And we believe that these trees and the forest will stay it is and intact. But it's also the fact of the distance to it, and the topography also of it. As you can see in this section, the topography just goes down, which helps us also with the visibility.

15 So, even though there were to be an imaging scenario when some of these trees die, let's say, we still believe the visibility wouldn't be an issue. Actually, we remembered today when we were walking around, if you were looking, when we were around here, the Science Building will be probably more visible, right, if were to lose some of the vegetation, because of the proximity to Avon Road. I think the positive is that we are already quite far from it.

20 **MR HOLT:** Yes, I think that's – sorry to interrupt you, Bea – I think that is important. Unlike the other buildings around campus, whether it's Grey House or the Science Building, the SIP is over 70 metres away from that edge, and it's also not running parallel to Avon Road. So, it actually extends even further away from the neighbouring site. And the façade itself is quite articulated. It is broken down into three different reads, or let's say where the circulation hits, the mass and the façade changes within that area.

25 So, there is some articulation along that northern façade. And then also because we're not parallel, we're shifting away from the road, even with some of those trees potentially, say, getting past their prime, the mature trees, we'll still have a significant distance between building and public domain and road.

30 **MS MILLER:** If you don't mind me just quickly adding something. Those trees in that corridor are also going to be managed under a VMP, which I will get to later. But if any of those trees to perish for whatever reason, there is a strategy in place to ensure further planting.

35 **MS SYKES:** Thank you, Brodie, that was actually my next question around those mechanisms, so we'll get to that a little bit later.

40 **MS CALVETE RODRIGUEZ:** So, if there is no more questions around the built form, we're going to jump into the tree removal, landscaping.

45 **MS MALEK:** So, as you saw on campus today, everything beyond – what Brodie mentioned – everything that Service Road is being retained by the BDAR and

obviously by the project. So, we then looked into the six trees that Council were concerned about and named in their response, and we wanted to evaluate the site to understand was there a way in the design that we could retain those trees.

5 So, we first looked at the impact of those tree protection zones on the building. It would mean about 3,500 square metres we would need relocate, which is not insignificant for a project of this size. So, to build up meant that the building would just get increasingly taller, meaning that it's then visible from the surroundings, which is not the outcome that we believed we wanted.

10 Shifting it so that it would avoid those trees within the same site meant, as you know, you saw on site today, it's already a verdant green site, it just meant we started to then lose other trees. And then starting to break up the building and fragment it so that it wouldn't as large, means that we don't really meet the brief of the school and their
15 needs for the area. And that also we're just replicating the issue on site now where we have fragmented small green spaces rather than the one big green space, that's going to be such a huge part of the new campus. So, then we also looked at, okay, do we evaluate the Master Plan itself and think are there other places on campus better suited to site the SIP Building.

20 If you look around number 1, I think some of you knew that site well with the aquatic centre and tennis courts, it's already quite built up and surrounding it is either Blue Gum High Forest or Turpentine-Ironbark Forest. Number 2 is where the Grey House Precinct is, where the Boarding School is, it's already quite a dense part of campus. So,
25 around 3 is of course where we sited the SIP and the new Campus Commons greens area. And then area number 4, we weren't going to place it in the middle of the oval, and of course a lot of the other part of that landscape is either sporting fields or, again, endangered forest that we want to protect. It also didn't make sense for the campus to put it right up near Gate 1 where there was no connection to the rest of the senior
30 school.

So, then over to Brodie from Narla to then we looked at what is the implication on biodiversity if those five or six trees were to be removed.

35 **MS MILLER:** Yes. So, the development impact, 0.19 hectares of Blue Gum High Forest, and this has generated ecosystem credits. There are no species credits required, there were no threatened fauna or flora within the site. There are no hollow-bearing trees being impacted by the development; all the hollow-bearing trees are in that Blue Gum High Forest corridor that you can see on the second – oh, on Figure 2.

40 So, that corridor is going to be maintained under a VMP. So, it has an initial management period of five years, to then be managed in perpetuity. That VMP includes things like mitigating [age? 00:17:32] impacts. I will note that where the development already is, there are already [age?] impacts occurring, but because of the
45 VMP, those aren't expected to be exacerbated. The VMP will also include things like nest boxes, planting, the reuse of vegetation from the site during clearing, so seed material and similar things. And fundamentally, that Blue Gum High Forest corridor is in a better condition than what is being impacted by the development. So, I'm sure you saw that on site this morning.

We also applied the serious and irreversible impact test within the BDAR. Sorry, bear with me one second. Okay. So, this impact, we found it represented around less than 0.14 of the total mapped extent of Blue Gum High Forest in New South Wales, and that's about 0.9% of the local occurrence, so that's a 500-metre radius around the subject land. So, with that considered, the overall impact is deemed quite small and there is going to be a very large section being protected as a result of the development, and that is being maintained and has the better biodiversity values.

I won't go into the actual avoidance side of things because that is covered by the design.

MR LETHLEAN: That's over to me. So, Perry Lethlean, landscape architect. So, just with the removal of the four buildings and the location of the SIP Building, it really creates a fantastic opportunity to create a Campus Commons, which is part of the intention by Pymble. As you know, it's a disparate campus at the moment. Huge change of level – 10 metres across the site. So, this sort of gesture helps unite a disparate array of buildings that are currently located on the campus.

Also, the opportunity this project represents is to provide compliant and accessible access to a whole range of buildings that are not currently meeting the standard such as the Colonnade, the Art Centre, the IT Hub, Conde Library, Science Centre, so a fantastic opportunity to unite all of these with a greater accessible plan.

There is an intention, also, there's not a singular gesture of landscape here. There is just a range of different expressions of how a school might operate from plaza spaces to educational spaces, event/arrival, the Amphitheatre, plaza spaces, as well as a whole range of educational gardens such as the Blue Gum Garden, Botanical Gardens, as well as the small social lawn spaces.

At its whole is just a gesture of landscape that unites what is currently a disparate and sort of a muddled campus and landscape footprint.

In terms of the proposed trees, there's obviously a whole range of groundcover planting as part of the development. Part of the landscape is 61 high-quality trees that are proposed, many of them advanced; 37 are the valued Blue Gum High Forest species that will grow in deep soil conditions. And the proposed canopy of the whole of the development is 21%.

MS CALVETE RODRIGUEZ: Clare, Juliet, do you have any questions around this?

MS SYKES: I just had one question on the Blue Gum Garden, just in terms of you mentioned, Perry, the deep soil areas in terms of – that there had been concern expressed around the ability for that to be supported. Do you have any comment on that in terms of, you know, that the guarantee of the survival of those replacement trees within that deep soil area, are there any concerns related to that?

MR LETHLEAN: Not from my knowledge and experience. We wouldn't be planting the Blue Gum High Forest species as super-advanced species, so they would be

installed at a smaller height just to ensure viability and their growth. Some of the risk is really associated when you're trying to put super-advanced native species in. So, we would make sure that the soil conditions are appropriate and best through a scientific method.

5

MS SYKES: Thank you.

MS GRANT: Is there an existing Vegetation Management Plan for the school, or is this introducing a new element to the landscape management?

10

MR HASTIE: There is a Vegetation Management Plan, Juliet. We have extended the site in support of the SIP development.

MS GRANT: So, the areas being removed, is that consistent with the initial Vegetation Management Plan?

15

MR HASTIE: I'd have to check that, but I think the existing Vegetation Management Plan will be taken over by the new Vegetation Management Plan. There's a maturity associated with the new one. I think the old one, we came to an understanding that it was probably time to replace that VMP anyway, and there's a more mature VMP that's now been put into place associated with SIP.

20

MS GRANT: Thank you.

MS SYKES: Thank you. I didn't have any more questions there.

25

MS CALVETE RODRIGUEZ: Oh, that's great. So, jumping into construction impacts. Greg.

MR HASTIE: One of our challenges as a school is that we need to maintain the daily operations without it being impacted by construction. We do know that there is going to be demolition work – there are four buildings that will be removed. On your walk through today, you saw the location of those buildings with proximity to existing buildings.

30

35

Our timing will be such that we will knock down buildings, we will demolish buildings during our periods of no student and no staff activity. So, we are targeting the end of November. HSC for us is a very important period, a very important time, that closes out mid-October, we then have Year 11 exams that go on a little bit longer than that. But from early November onwards, we do have an opportunity to start demolishing buildings, creating noise without it impacting the daily operation of the school.

40

We will do the bulk of the demolition, we would probably start the demolition on the western building, the IH Building, the white one that you saw on the right-hand side, we would start there and then move across once the school is completely vacant, which would be early December, to demolish the other three buildings as well. We do start our holidays earlier than public schools, so it's generally around the 4th or 5th of December, and we would then commence our demolition works at that period.

45

The construction of the works, it's fortunately outside the footprint with the exception of the Science Building, it's outside the footprint of most of the school. So, we think that the impact of construction, well, it will certainly be less than demolition, and that's – our focus is really the noise and vibration associated with demolition.

There is a draft condition (C18) which calls for a Construction Management Plan to ensure that these elements, in as construction, noise and vibration management sub-plan, which ensures and needs to ensure that all of the works take cognisance of what it is the school is trying to do, which is to educate our students.

Our site access will come through Gate 2 and come on through into a parking area that is currently staff parking, and that will be the initial parking area for the contractor. Their temporary site [unintelligible 00:26:13] will be to the right of that, with access to the site via the Service Road. We do, as a rule, ensure that there is no material handling, material deliveries during drop-off and pick-up times, with drop-off being 7:30 to 8:15, and pick-up being 2:30 to 3:15/3:30.

If the contractor needs to bring any materials through, normally it is during concrete pours when you can't stop them, we work with the contractor and with their traffic controllers to ensure that there's a method, that we try to minimise any impact that we do have on the traffic that is associated with the school.

We are fortunate in having Gate 2 in that on Avon Road we have Gate 3 to the left-hand side, which is our primary drop-off and pick-up point, and Gate 1 on the right-hand side, which again is our primary drop-off and pick-up point. So, Gate 2 is generally isolated and that will be dedicated for construction. There will be no other access, with the exception of buses that do come through, there will be no other access through Gate 2.

MS SYKES: Greg, before we move on, I just had a question around the vibration and noise monitoring. Has the vibration monitoring, and have there been other sort of considerations around physical protection, especially during demolition and excavation related to the Colonnade building and while it's not heritage listed, it is obviously significant? Could you outline any measures ...

MR HASTIE: We will be working – with the exception of moving equipment away from the building, we do know that there will be vibration that will impact the building. We will have vibration monitors attached to the building. And where the vibration monitors are registering an exceedance of an appropriate and acceptable level, that work will be stopped.

But beyond that, we will be considering, well, we will work with the contractors to ensure that there's no damage to the building, that's probably the worst that could happen. And the vibration in itself is – it will impact [people/equal? 00:28:35], but we're concerned about the building being damaged. So, other than the normal photographic surveys prior to construction etc., we will have vibration monitors attached to the building, and there will be an exceedance which we'll work with engineers on, to properly determine.

MS SYKES: And Greg, just on, you mentioned that 100% or all of the construction traffic will be utilising Gate 2. Has it been confirmed in terms of the event where swept paths for larger-sized vehicles or more rigid vehicles may not be able to utilise that gate, and how would that be managed? I know that you referred to the management of enforceable truck windows during certain time periods, but what about just the physical limitations of that gate, do you envisage any issues there?

MR HASTIE: We worked with two contractors already. We went out into the market and identified a number of contractors to hold discussions with; two in particular have attended site, we've walked them through Gate 2. There may be an opportunity to open up Gate 2 a little bit wider, so we would remove the physical fence posts to create a better bell-mouth into Gate 2. We did that with Gate 3 when we were doing the Grey House Precinct, we moved the sandstone blocks, and that enabled the trucks to actually take that turn. We'd do exactly the same with Gate 2.

From a road perspective, the road is wide enough, and it has the carry capacity for the trucks. The only limitation that we have seen potentially is the entry, and we would adjust the entry to suit the truck movement.

MS SYKES: Great, thank you.

MS GRANT: Can I just ask in terms of timing for that construction, it's kind of hinging all on the long Christmas holidays which is now only, if you start in November, now only sort of five months away. Is it conceivable that you can actually undertake all the prerequisites for this in terms of construction certificates ...

MR HASTIE: My apologies, my apologies, Juliet. I meant November 2027.

MS GRANT: Right, good-o, okay, that's –

MR HASTIE: No, I wish we could start now, Juliet, you've got how many people on this meeting saying, "Yes, let's start now."

MS GRANT: Okay.

MR HASTIE: My apologies, I should have explained.

MS GRANT: I didn't even ...

MR HASTIE: 2027, sorry.

MS GRANT: No, all good.

MR PARNELL: I better jump in here, Greg, talk through parking. So, for construction workers, total of 50 spaces will be provided. So, as you can see in the figure on the left, 40 of those spaces will be provided in the existing Kelso car park, which is currently used for school staff, and a further 10 will be provided along the western part of the access road which is just to the left of the same car park.

Further to this, there will be strong measures in place to really encourage construction workers to utilise green travel options. So, through induction procedures, staff will be encouraged to use public transport, to carpool, and to walk and cycle where it's feasible. And there will be strong discouragement on using the on-street parking in nearby roads. And further to this, on-site storage of equipment will be facilitated to really reduce the need for workers to drive on a daily basis.

In addition to that, so with staff parking, acknowledging the displacement of the staff parking at the Kelso car park, we worked with the college to designate staff parking across the site to ensure there won't be any loss to staff parking through the development. So, this is achieved primarily through the utilisation of the back court, back tennis court, which will be converted into a 46-space car park for staff. And this is currently being used as part of the Grey House Precinct development as well, that will be formalised as part of this process. And this will be accompanied by the release of 16 spaces at various locations, as shown on the figure on the right as well, and also the formalisation of 24 spaces adjacent to the main oval.

MS ROBERTS: It's Jenny here, I might just add as well, just for clarification, that we actually have a formal lease agreement with the Uniting Church now for use of their 7-space car park. It's sitting there mostly empty at the moment. I'm using it as a proof of concept for staff that arrive late, on occasion I may have one or two people there, but we wanted to lock it in before the Uniting Church went and found other people that would want to use their car park. So, that lease is in play and we will – I will most likely continue that lease for a very long time, but certainly the lease will be continued through the construction period.

MS SYKES: So, Jenny, on that, and just confirming that the lease of – the off-site lease of the Uniting Church space would be for staff only, not for construction workers?

MS ROBERTS: That's correct, for staff only, yes.

MS GRANT: Are there any conditions on the earlier consents that set a requirement for minimum car parking spaces on site that you need to be mindful of, to achieve compliance with other consents?

MS ROBERTS: We do for our Grey House Precinct for our early years school, and we do have that, we've got those car parking spaces in play now. So, they contribute towards the count, we didn't have to allocate anymore, it was just about making sure that we clearly mark those, so we do, yes.

MS SUTCLIFFE: I might just jump in there as well. Rosie from Urbis. John, I know that there's also a staff parking or, sorry, a parking number that sits within a local DA as well. I don't know if you have those numbers to hand, but certainly, Juliet, there is an overall number of spaces that have been kind of counted up as being on the campus and have sort of been noted in a local consent.

MR PARNELL: Yes, that's definitely formed part – I believe that 426 is the number which we have, yes, maintained –

MS ROBERTS: Yes, that's correct.

5 **MR PARNELL:** – throughout this development to ensure we're maintaining that provision throughout.

10 **MS CALVETE RODRIGUEZ:** Okay. If there is no more questions around traffic, there was a last item in the agenda, I think the lighting was around Council concerns of at the end of the day, the rooms will be used by the school after hours, and if there will be any spilling to the neighbours. So, I'll let Greg talk about it, we're just showing the north elevation to show the spaces that we would leave that may be used after hours, not every day, but just in some locations.

15 **MR HASTIE:** There will be after hours use after 5:30, which would generate the necessity to use lights in summer or winter. Lights are on a dialling control and they do get timed. Grey House Precinct is exactly the same. And they are on a timer, and they do go off at certain times during the evening. We are cognisant of the fact that cleaners come through, and when they walk into the top floor, for example, they set off the lights and then the lights by their nature take about 15/20 minutes to switch off, because it is done with a movement sensor. So, we are cognisant of that. But as a rule, we put all our lights on a control, on a timed control.

20 **MS CALVETE RODRIGUEZ:** And we would like to add also, as you can see, there are rooms that are on the lowest level of the building. So, if we remind ourselves of the section that we showed earlier, that whole bush will cover also quite a lot of this lighting. And I think that's the end, if you have any questions around this.

25 **MS SYKES:** Just one question on the lighting. In terms of the design, was there consideration also given to any nocturnal fauna or wildlife within the corridor? Is that a consideration at all?

MS CALVETE RODRIGUEZ: Can you repeat that question, please?

30 **MS SYKES:** So, where there, in terms of the impacts of lighting, it's mainly been that the use of the screening that, in terms of Avon Road, was there also consideration around the impact of lighting to nocturnal fauna within the retained corridor?

35 **MS MILLER:** Yes. So, as part of the BDAR, the indirect – I can't remember what it is called, ah – but there is an indirect measures table that addresses things like noise, lighting, vibration, and there are – I can't remember off the top of my head – but there is a response within the BDAR that addresses those concerns.

MS SYKES: Thank you.

40 **MS GRANT:** There was one other item on the agenda that was about contamination. Were you going to touch on that one as well?

MS SUTCLIFFE: Yes, I can speak to this one. So, in terms of contamination, we've obviously completed the required PSI and detailed site investigations that were

required under the SEARs. The findings of that were that there were no visible areas of concern or any contaminants that were detected above the adopted human health criteria.

5 Obviously, there are limitations in the terms of sampling that can be undertaken while buildings are still in situ, and so it's the intention of the project to undertake that further investigation to validate the initial findings that have been made so far and determine whether there's any remediation that is required.

10 And so, there is a condition of consent currently in that draft set of conditions, I believe it's C31, which requires the Applicant to undertake those further investigations once the buildings are demolished.

15 **MS SYKES:** Thank you, Rosie. I didn't have any other questions on contamination. Juliet, are you ...

MS GRANT: Yes, no, all good, thank you.

20 **MS SYKES:** Okay. I guess, so thank you very much for that presentation, and that certainly covers the key issues as raised on the agenda. I guess, just a broader question in terms of the ... There was the, that there would be no increase in enrolments or staffing across the school. Do you have any sort of comments on that or confirm the current student numbers and staff numbers, and that traffic and parking impacts really rest on there being no increase. Are you able to comment on that broader subject?

25 **MR HASTIE:** Yes, we have it, and Jenny will comment further, but we do have a student cap of 2,550 students. We do not intend to exceed that. That cap was granted a few years ago, and it is not the school's intention to go beyond that. I think AFT is 460 – Jenny, I'm not 100% sure of that, but I'm sure you have better information.

30 **MS ROBERTS:** We're very, very close to our cap at the moment, and we manage that really carefully. The maximum in any year level that we will ever, ever have is 300, which gets us to the cap that we've currently got. This has never been an intention to grow this college at all. We're very satisfied that we are big enough, and it's very much around really preparing the girls for the future.

35 So, at the moment, the girls in the senior school are in a really old building. Interestingly, it was the last building to ever be renovated, other than the new building we've just completed, and it was renovated many, many years ago. And we want the girls to really be in those future careers around innovation, STEM and everything else. And you've already heard when you're on campus about what our junior girls are doing already in Year 5 and 6 in STEM. So, this is about providing that space for those girls to really delve into those innovative subjects.

45 So, never about growth, not about increasing our staff numbers either. So, we don't see any ongoing impact in terms of parking or traffic, but it's certainly about the fact that we have very aging buildings and infrastructure and we are not keeping up at the moment with the demands that are placed on our girls, particularly as they head into

university. So, really trying to prepare them for their future careers – that’s what the aim of this building is.

5 And it’s also really focusing again on their wellbeing. So, the design of the spaces and the outdoors spaces as well is really intention, because, you know, we all know the dire impacts in terms of our young people in terms of mental health.

10 So, innovation in terms of growth and development, supporting the girls in terms of having a really amazing wellbeing experience here – that’s the aim. Definitely not about growth. We are very happy and comfortable that Pymble has the largest girls’ school in the southern hemisphere, that we are big enough. So, this is about just making sure that we’ve got the facilities that our community expects as well and what our girls need to prepare them for the future.

15 **MS SYKES:** Thank you.

MS GRANT: Does that student cap include the early learning centre as well?

20 **MS ROBERTS:** I don’t it does, no, and that –

MR HASTIE: 2,550 plus 90 for the early learning centre.

MS ROBERTS: Yes, it’s 90. Yes, and that’s...

25 **MR HASTIE:** Apologies to cut in. But also acknowledging that the 90 is boy and girl. So, not every girl that goes to – or not every child at the early learning centre will come through to Pymble.

30 **MS SYKES:** Okay. And Jenny, you mentioned the staff is currently sitting at the maximum or very high levels at the moment.

35 **MS ROBERTS:** It is, it is. And, you know, obviously we have up and down movements all of the time, but again, we have no intention of growing in that space. We have, you know, there’s a maximum of about 600 staff, but most of them, I think we’ve got 400 permanent full-time, and then casual staff that come and go. So, a lot of those are – we have our sports coaches that are here early mornings and then they’re gone by 8/8:30 in the morning. So, no, no intention to grow. This is really just about providing that space for our girls.

40 **MS GRANT:** And is that – sorry, Jenny, is that student cap, I think Greg just said it was from 2024, it’s just a couple of years old, is that embedded in a DA somewhere, or is that ...

45 **MS ROBERTS:** It is, it is. Yes.

MS GRANT: And you mentioned when we were walking around, the Master Plan for the site, so the Master Plan, again, that doesn’t lead to further increases, that’s again just about improving facilities for the current population.

MS ROBERTS: The SIP Building is really the last major piece in our Master Plan. And then at the very end, once we have the amount of excellent classrooms that we need, not demountable classrooms, we'll be clearing the site of the demountables. But yes, the Master Plan's been underway, obviously you saw Grey House Precinct, that was the other kind of large anchor point in our Master Plan. So, this is the last one in the current Master Plan, and yes, no desire to grow at all. I think we've, you know, we're comfortable where we are.

MS GRANT: Has that Master Plan ever formed part of a development consent, or is that's just an internal working document that the school has?

MS ROBERTS: It's an internal working document. And obviously, the major pieces, there's been minor internal refurbishment works that we've done along the way, but Grey House Precinct and SIP and the Campus Commons are the pieces of the Master Plan realistically. The rest were just, you know, moving things around to accommodate that.

The main aim of our Master Plan, the way that we think about it, other than, you know, ensuring that we have this truly excellent future-focused spaces, we've designed everything around a clockface. So, the reason why we're sorting of moving at the moment, our senior girls are kind of buried at the back of the campus, but we've designed it so that as you come in sort of to the left of the – you come in and arrive past the oval at the flagpole, to the left you drop down to our junior school and it feels really warm and friendly and bespoke.

As you move around, and you saw our big new building and it starts, Year 5 and 6 you start to have a different experience around STEM and around learning that kind of growth, so that lets them kind of start to step into secondary. And then we swing around and we'll be moving our middle school to where our current senior school girls are. Our upper school, we refurbished a hub for them, that was the very first thing we did, because those of you have daughters know that girls in Year 9 are particularly challenging, so we gave the very first job that we did was to give them a really beautiful welcoming indoors space where they can hang out at lunchtime and at breaks.

And then the Secondary Innovation Precinct for our senior girls is the last kind of space that they're in before they exit the campus and go onto university and careers. So, it was kind of a very intentional – it really just kind of fit as well with the way that the campus is designed, that, you know, starting in that junior school, warm and it feels smaller and more cosy and not as frightening.

But we want to expand and grow our girls, and the Master Plan really aligns with that vision, as they track around the campus into their various sub-schools, that they emerge at this building, really well and truly ready to go out and, you know, do all those amazing careers, which hopefully AI will not take away from the girls, they'll be ready. So, yes, that's kind of the vision of the Master Plan.

MS SYKES: Thanks very much for that overview, Jenny. I guess, we'll just move to the next agenda item. I just wanted to invite whether there were any comments from

any of the attendees on the meeting today on the Department's draft or recommended conditions of consent.

5 **MS SUTCLIFFE:** I might just jump in here, and Greg, just correct me if I'm wrong. We've obviously had the opportunity to review the draft conditions, and we provided some feedback to the Department already. We've also reviewed a second set and there's been some back and forth and I think where we currently stand, we're quite satisfied with the content of the conditions.

10 **MR HASTIE:** Yes, I confirm that as well, Rosie, yes.

15 **MS SYKES:** Apologies, I was on mute. Well, thank you very much for confirming that. I did not have any further questions or any other matters I wish to raise. I'd just like to invite Juliet, whether you had any other questions or matters you wished to raise, before opening it up to the group whether there were any other matters.

20 **MS GRANT:** Yes, thanks, Clare. I don't have any further questions. It's been really helpful to have that presentation, and really informative going around and seeing the site this morning, so thank you all for that.

MS SYKES: Thank you, Juliet. And so, just inviting from the attendees whether there were any other matters that wished to be raised on this meeting.

25 **MS ROBERTS:** Clare, we didn't, except to give our sincere thanks to you and Juliet and Jane and Isaac for all of the time and effort that you've put into doing the assessment for our application. We really do appreciate it and we value your questions and your time, so thank you so much for that.

30 **MS SYKES:** Thanks very much, Jenny, and thanks very much to all attendees on the meeting today. So, with that, we will now draw the meeting to a close. Thank you very much for the opportunity to view the site's locality today and also the opportunity to review the material that we've covered in the meeting today, the presentation as well as the discussion, that will all be very valuable in terms of informing our determination for this application. So, thank you very much for your time today.

35 **MR HASTIE:** Thank you very much.

[Multiple people say thank you/bye]

40 **THE MEETING CONCLUDED**