



MR A. PILTON: Okay. Well, we'll start then. Good morning and welcome. Before we begin I would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land from which we virtually meet today and pay my respects to their elders past, present and emerging. Welcome to the meeting today to discuss the Trinity Grammar School  
5 Redevelopment, SSD 10371, project which is currently before the Commission for determination. The council of Trinity Grammar School, the applicant, is seeking consent for the redevelopment of Trinity Grammar School Summer Hill campus. Summer Hill is located approximately seven kilometres west of the Sydney CBD.

10 The proposal seeks demolition of some existing buildings, construction of four new buildings, refurbishment of four existing buildings, reconfiguration and expansion of the underground car park, landscaping, external road and public domain works, signage and a staged increase in students and staff. My name is Adrian Pilton and I am the chair of this Commission panel. I'm joined by my fellow Commissioners  
15 Wendy Lewin and Dr Sheridan Coakes. We're also joined by Brad James and Kate Moore from the Office of the Independent Planning Commission. In the interest of openness and transparency and to ensure the full capture of information, today's meeting is being recorded and a complete transcript will be produced and made available on the Commission's website.

20 This meeting is one part of the Commission's consideration of this matter and will form one of several sources of information upon the Commission will base – upon which will the Commission will base its determination. It is important for the Commissioners to ask questions of attendees and to clarify issues when it is  
25 considered appropriate. If you are asked a question and are not in a position to answer please feel free to take the question on notice and provide any additional information in writing which we will then put up on our website. I request that all members here today introduce themselves before speaking for the first time and for all members to ensure that they do not speak over the top of each other to ensure  
30 accuracy of the transcript. We will now begin. We've provided an agenda to you at the council so I'll leave it to you to proceed. Who's going to be the first speaker?

MS H. ATWAL: Good morning, panel. My name's Harjeet Atwal. I'm the senior manager in planning within Inner West Council, and we have received the  
35 department's assessment report as well as a draft conditions and today we will be discussing with the panel the draft conditions surrounding the traffic and parking and heritage and also the contributions condition for – under E10 of the consent particularly associated with the contributions conditions. What I may – I would like to do first of all, if it's okay with the panel, is to go through the traffic and parking in  
40 the first instance, the heritage, and then we can move on to the contributions towards the end of it if – if that's agreed upon with the panel.

MR PILTON: That's – that's fine. Thank you, Harjeet.

45 MS ATWAL: All right. I'd like to introduce Boris - - -

MR B. MUHA: Muha, yes.

MS ATWAL: - - - Muha and Joseph Bertacco who will be speaking to the traffic and parking from Inner West Council. Boris, I'll - I'll - I'll hand over to yourself.

5

MR MUHA: Thank you. Where I'm coming from is the question of the likelihood and expansion of the car park operation from Victoria Street, knowing too well there's always been an issue about vehicles coming in and out of that car park at the moment and understanding on the - reading through the development assessment report, it is - it is understood and - understood that there is a general car park under the sports fields which accommodates all the car parking needs and drop offing - drop off needs and it's known as oval 2 under the car park, which is coming off Victoria Street. This is where all the majority of activity is undertaken and there is a similar smaller car park just south thereof which is mainly for staff and service vehicle access.

15

I - it is understood that this secondary car park will be further expanded and it will be opened up to, sort of, interlink with the northern car park, sort of, to improve various aspects of circulation and relief problem of queuing from on street. At the moment we have a problem where, you know, we've only got this one access way driveway leading out to Victoria Street and all the congestion and problems associated with vehicles entering and exiting. By interconnecting the two car parks we'll be introducing a secondary exit driveway further south which will alleviate the problem of congestion around the one driveway and similarly provide and release the opportunity to allow vehicles to turn right or - or left from outside of those car parks.

20

25

At the moment all vehicles are forced to turn left out from the main car park during morning and afternoon sessions. This problem - this creates an exasperating problem where a lot of the traffic or the majority of traffic is pushed down to go south and needing to exit from various intersections and this has caused a lot of problems and aggravation by - between residents further south of that school. Certainly the prospect of expanding and interconnecting these two driveways and allowing additional exit or opportunity to turn right will further improve these characteristics.

30

35

MS ATWAL: Sorry, Boris, to interrupt. Are you presenting your screen? I can't see your screen and I don't - and I think there's someone in the chat - a few people in the chat have expressed that they can't see your screen either.

40

MR MUHA: Screen? Sorry. I didn't share the screen.

MS ATWAL: Are you sharing your screen?

MR MUHA: No. I wasn't sharing the screen - - -

45

MS ATWAL: Oh, okay. Right. I just wanted to confirm.

MR MUHA: - - - at this point in time. Sorry. I'm - - -

MS ATWAL: Thank you. Thank you.

5 MR MUHA: If you want me to, it's – it's identified as – yes. I'm, sort of, looking at page 45 of 46 of the redevelopment assessment plan. It's identifying what the existing car park arrangement and what the proposed car park - - -

MS ATWAL: Yes.

10

MR MUHA: - - - arrangements showing - - -

MS ATWAL: Thank you, Boris.

15 MR MUHA: And there's a brief clause – there's a few clauses which describe that. Going on from there, we've also had discussions with the – discussions with the consultants – traffic consultant in regards to some external roadworks. One – I might share the screen here now, if I can. I'm just going to go into Google Maps and share the screen, if I can. I may have a bit of problems getting into here. Sorry. I'll share  
20 the screen now and see if this works. Okay. What are you seeing at the moment? Sorry.

MR PILTON: We've got the – we can see the Google Maps.

25 MR MUHA: Oh, you can see the Google Maps? Okay. Thank you.

MR PILTON: Yes. It's being on the left – yes.

MR MUHA: Yes. As I – as I said before – and I can reiterate what I said before –  
30 you can see the actual school here. It's all defined here. It says that it's bounded by Prospect Road, Seaview Street and Victoria Street. The main car park facility in this area here. It's referred to as oval 2. And the secondary car park which is only – only facilitates the – the staff and access facility is in this area here. That's known as oval 3 – under the oval 3. Both car parks are underground under these – these two ovals.  
35 So this is the main car park which only relates to the clause of – with parents/carers bringing the children in and the drop off facility. This is the only access way in and out at the moment.

40 Every – all the vehicles are forced to turn left out to here under morning and afternoon peak, and what happens is the – there's a lot of traffic moving down here, needing to turn here through these intersections and trying to get out left or right through here. Victoria Street down this end is closed off.

45 MR B. JAMES: I'm sorry. Sorry to interrupt.

MR MUHA: Yes.

MR JAMES: Councillor Kiat's in the waiting room. Adrian, you're okay to - - -

MR PILTON: Yes. Can you please let him in.

5 MR JAMES: Yes. Here we go. Thanks.

MR MUHA: Sorry. Can I continue, please.

10 MR PILTON: Hang on. Two seconds and I'll - - -

MR MUHA: All right. Okay.

MR PILTON: Just let the councillors online. Okay. Welcome, Councillor Kiat. We're just talking about traffic, so - - -

15 MR T. KIAT: All right. Thanks very much. Sorry I'm late.

MR PILTON: Okay. That's okay. I'll pass back to Boris now.

20 MR MUHA: Yes. Thank you. So, again, the interconnection of these two car parks will give a better flow in and dispersion of traffic. The vehicles will be able to have the opportunity to turn right out here and they'll probably end up turning left down here, so we'll have an equal distribution or dispersion of traffic – traffic out of Victoria Street. I think that's the primary objective here in regards to car park  
25 development. Going on to external roadwork improvements, down on this end here we have a median. Essentially an island median comes off here. This will be widened to a refuge condition or a pedestrian refuge condition to improve pedestrian safety and there will be an inclusion – an included left turn – left turn bay out in order to improve – improve the performance of that intersection.

30 Coming up this way we have what is known as a – there's a at grade pedestrian crossing here. This is being discussed and will be raised for improved safety conditions. Initially we felt that we may provide kerb extensions incorporated with this crossing but there are driveways on either side and there's bus stops – bus stop  
35 locations directly in – directly on departure sides. We decided that we'll only proceed to raise the crossing on this point and I've – we'll show that under a – under – I'll make some changes to the draft conditions to identify that. If we go around now to Victoria Street. Down here we have what is a – known as a pedestrian refuge facility.

40 It was built there in order to provide an – safety access to – for children attending the school up here and, similarly, Yeo Park and in – or the general community accessing this park area here which is called Yeo Park. The applicant has come back to us and saying that they wish to, sort of, replace this to a raised crossing, combined with  
45 some kerb blistering in order to improve the pedestrian facility activity. I think one of the problems is a side view issue as traffic needs to turn left out here. There was a substation or a kiosk placed here on this corner and there's some concern that this

causes side view issues and that by replacing this as a – a crossing area this will alleviate a lot of issues and so – and I've actually identified that as a changed condition under the draft.

5 I'll show you later. Going – and another thing which has just come and identified is that there has been some political – oh, sorry. I've just got to set something. There's some political community representation made for additional safe crossing measures to be provided in Victoria Street, which is Victoria Street between Seaview Street and the school down this end. This is – we feel that this considered as initially  
10 providing safer walking routes to the school. I mean, the safer route – routes to school initiative is a program where council investigates walking routes to the school in order to provide safe path and crossing facilities on key routes to a nearby school.

It – I think it's a benefit to the school in providing that safe crossing north of the  
15 school. At this point of time because we don't – I don't think that we have potential warrant for what's known as zebra crossings we can create what's known as build outs or kerb extensions which act as a similar way as a safe crossing facility. It just narrows the passageway for people to cross over and the possible intention is to build something around – just south of Seaview Street and something around here at  
20 Holwood Avenue so there is a good flow and opportunity for the – all general pedestrians to actually cross over. And I've identified that as an additional condition under – under draft. So – and it was – lastly, there is a condition of road safety audit. I feel that – sorry. Is there someone wanting to come in?

25 MR PILTON: No. Proceed. It's all right.

MR MUHA: Sorry. Okay. There's also a condition under the road safety – providing a road safety audit to identify all these measures that would be  
30 incorporates – roadworks extensions and how the – how the traffic will be managed in and out of these car park locations. It was meant that the road safety audit would be done prior to construction or prior to occupation certificate. It's felt that we might want to bring that road safety audit a bit earlier under a conceptual design phase so that we can capture all the aspects of all the roadworks that we need to do and similarly whatever traffic management we have to incorporate and see whether or not  
35 one doesn't conflict with the other.

And if so we can touch base and – with the traffic consultant and say, "Look, we have a problem here or there. Can we – can we adjust this or that before it can go any further to – prior to traffic – traffic committee approval". So by saying that, I  
40 can now probably show you the – probably show you what I've done in the conditions. I've extracted just four – I've extracted four conditions out of the draft area. I've just got to, sort of, stop this and go out again. Sorry. So I'm trying to - - -

45 MS ATWAL: I'm just conscious of the time, Boris.

MR MUHA: Yes. I am. I'm going to - - -

MS ATWAL: Can you speak to the conditions that you wish to – to - - -

MR MUHA: Yes. I'm going to do that now.

5 MS ATWAL: - - - put forward.

MR MUHA: And hopefully I'll finish off with these conditions. Okay. Can you see that?

10 MR PILTON: Yes.

MR MUHA: Okay. Okay. E – I'm sorry. I thought I extracted all these out. Can I just try to get out somehow again – okay. Can you see that now?

15 MR PILTON: Yes. Thank you.

MR MUHA: Okay. Thank you. Sorry. Okay. So what I've done, I've just extracted the main conditions here. If you can see, I've actually – what's it – these are the – the additional or amended aspects of conditions are noted in yellow here. I've, sort of, struck out what was there initially, like, just to, sort of, go and over and clarify exactly what I was going on about was that we are proposing a pedestrian crossing at Prospect Road and details the extent. The proposed raised crossing on Prospect Road will not include corresponding kerb extensions, so that's been struck out.

25  
Coming down to (b) details of raised pedestrian crossing in the middle of additional pedestrian refuge in Victoria Street, north of Harland – Harland Street, that's, sort of, looking at replacing that pedestrian crossing – pedestrian refuge down in Victoria Street with that of a raised crossing. We are discussing that and negotiating that with the traffic consultant at this point of time. (c) is just more or less elaborating on both conditions above to add - - -

MR C. WILSON: Sorry.

35 MR MUHA: - - - various signs and markings.

MR WILSON: Sorry. Sorry to jump in, Boris. This is Conor from – Conor Wilson, senior planner.

40 MR MUHA: Yes.

MR WILSON: Just in the interests of saving time, and if the panel's okay, what we might do is we might just correlate all our proposed amendments into one document and email that through.

45 MR MUHA: Yes.

MR PILTON: That would be fantastic. Thanks, Conor.

MR MUHA: Yes. Sorry. I thought that if I was going to finish off on this one – but I'm happy to, sort of, close off on it now and I've got the conditions down here. I've  
5 only amended some four conditions.

MR PILTON: That's great.

MR WILSON: Yes. That - - -  
10

MR PILTON: Thank you very much.

MR MUHA: All right. If you want me to close off I'll close off now.

15 MS ATWAL: Thanks, Boris. Joe, did – Joe Bertacco, did you have anything to add from a – a - - -

MR J. BERTACCO: Yes. I'm - - -

20 MS ATWAL: - - - engineering perspective?

MR BERTACCO: I'm just proposing in mind a bond for the works and for any losses and that through the - - -

25 MR PILTON: Sorry. Just – I'm sorry. You're very distorted, Joe. So is everyone else getting that distortion?

MS ATWAL: Yes.

30 MS W. LEWIN: Yes.

MR PILTON: We – we can't hear what you're saying. I'm sorry.

MR BERTACCO: I'm – all right.  
35

DR S. COAKES: Yes. I can't hear it. It's terrible.

MR WILSON: That's – if – if it's all right, Joe, I can – I – you've briefed me on that. I can – so Joe's just asking – and we'll include this in the conditions document  
40 to the panel – is just if we could impose a damage security bond – a financial damage security bond for the repair of council assets and infrastructure that might get damaged. We usually impose one as – on our development consents so we can provide wording to the panel, if that suits them – if it suits you.

45 MR PILTON: Yes, please.

MR WILSON: Thank you.



MS ATWAL: All right. Thank you. And what we'll – panel, what we'll do is move on to the heritage aspects. We've got Noni Boyd, our heritage expert, who can speak to heritage aspects. And, Noni, if you could go through and – and detail just the – the heritage assessment from your perspective very briefly and also just quickly  
5 outline the conditions if we require any additional conditions, and we can detail that to the panel in our holistic package regarding any conditions that we'd like to amend.

DR N. BOYD: Good morning. I'm Dr Noni Boyd, one of the council's heritage specialists. With this proposal we were very disappointed with the level of the  
10 heritage analysis and we felt that it – it was lacking in detail, particularly in relation to the 20<sup>th</sup> century buildings, and we have asked on a number of occasions to be provided with more information which we didn't receive. And so we would be seeking conditions in which more research is done to determine for all of the buildings exactly who designed them and – and to have that all recorded in a  
15 document because the document that was submitted they didn't identify the designer of each building. They didn't identify the dates correctly.

We weren't – we were asked to – to visit the buildings that were being gutted and we weren't shown that. So that's one issue we have. We'd like more work to be done  
20 just to record what's – in great detail what's being demolished because some of those buildings were actually well-known at the time of completion and they're an important set of school architecture from the 20<sup>th</sup> century. We also raised the issue of potential connection with Yeo Park. There's a set of steps down from the ovals which might be something that benefits the school and that is something though that  
25 could be closed off at – at night, but it's a – there's an opportunity there to link through into the park with – on – almost on axis with the rotunda.

And we also – we weren't that happy with the Aboriginal assessment either. As a part of an overall cultural landscape, we didn't feel that the changes to the site were  
30 adequately identified. There's a stream that's shown on earlier photos underneath the school and another one in Yeo Park and they actually impact on the landscape because it's muddy in the park. So that whole, sort of, designing with country aspect that's normally incorporated into big sites now hasn't really been covered and so we would actually seek a series of phases of development plans to be done which was  
35 done for sites like North Parramatta and for the Conservatorium of Music.

So you understand how the site developed, and then when you find something unexpectedly you know – you have more of an idea what it is and why it's there. And so it would help you in the long term to do more research before the  
40 construction certificate or at this stage now to actually understand the site a lot better. So thank you.

MR PILTON: Thanks, Noni. Back to you, Harjeet. Yes.

45 MS ATWAL: Thank you. Thank you. The last matter we'd like to discuss and present is regarding E10 of the conditions – the draft conditions which is contribution condition that has been imposed by the department. The department has opposed –

imposed a contribution condition under section 7(12) of the contributions plans. Now, we as council have sought some advice from the department on what basis they've put that condition in rather than section 7(11) and they've advised that they went through our contributions plan and they couldn't find a set figure for such a  
5 development for educational establishments; however, we've gone through our section 7(11) plan as of this morning as we only heard back from the department yesterday afternoon and we've identified that there is scope to be able to charge under the section 7(11) contributions plan.

10 However, we request the panel a little bit of time to explore that as there are potential exemptions that can be applied to the development. We request that we explore that with the Department of Planning and the assessment staff in the Department of Planning and be able to provide you with some advice and revised conditions by the end of the week to enable you to facilitate the determination next week.

15

MR PILTON: Thank you. Is that – is that okay, Brad?

MR JAMES: Yes. It's fine by us in terms of process, Adrian.

20 MR PILTON: Okay. Thank you. Is – is that the end of the presentation, Harjeet?

MS ATWAL: Yes. That is the end.

MR PILTON: Okay. We might move on to a few questions. The first one that I  
25 have is about the – the Jubilee entry off Victoria Street. Have – has council looked at that in any detail in terms of compliance with standards and so on in terms of steepness of ramps and turning circles and all that kind of stuff down in the lower car parks?

30 MS ATWAL: Boris, I may defer that question to yourself.

MR MUHA: Now, I don't, sort of, handle the underground car park development. Joe, is – are you there? I'd say that's – okay. In place of this – yes. We would  
35 undertake to, sort of, look at all these, sort of, aspects of car park designs relevant to the Australian Standards. We're very conscious of the fact that they, you know – any grades or car park way designs in car park spacing is designed to the correct standards. We're very focused on that.

MR PILTON: Okay. And also in terms of drop off zones and details of that, I don't  
40 know if you've looked at that.

MR MUHA: Oh, I'm not sure exactly on that aspect, but we would be – that's part of the overall car park design evaluation - - -

45 MR PILTON: Yes. Okay.

MR MUHA: - - - which is handled by a – our other group or development engineering group

MS LEWIN: Just - - -

5

MR PILTON: Okay. Thank you. Could - - -

MS LEWIN: Just to confirm – sorry, Adrian. Just to confirm, Boris, council has not yet reviewed the design of the internal access provisions to the car park for compliance, nor the immediate access from Victoria Street?

10

MR BERTACCO: Can you – can you hear me? Am I – is it working?

MR PILTON: I'm sorry, Joe. It's – it's very distorted.

15

MR BERTACCO: Yes. Well, we did – we did a – we – we would – it – it does condition there regarding compliance with the Australian Standards and private occupation. It will be then signed off to Australian Standards and everything complies.

20

MR PILTON: Yes. Can I just butt in. I'm sorry. It really is very distorted. Could you perhaps drop a note to – to Brad James about what you're saying because I can't understand it. I'm sorry.

MR BERTACCO: Yes. Will do.

25

MR PILTON: Thank you. If I could ask another question about traffic and so on. Could, Boris – I don't know. Could you explain to us if there are parking restrictions on the surrounding roads, bearing in mind we haven't been able to go out and do detailed site inspection?

30

MR MUHA: No. It's all unrestricted parking.

MR PILTON: Are you thinking of taking it - - -

35

MR MUHA: Yes. It's all - - -

MR PILTON: Even along Victoria - - -

MR MUHA: Yes. It's all unrestricted parking because we have – the purpose and objective of the underground car park was designed primarily to bring everyone in and drop off and park there temporarily whilst – whilst sending their children in and out. The intention was not to provide – the focus was to go away from drop off and pick up on street altogether.

45

MR PILTON: Yes. But you wouldn't consider putting restrictions on it? I can see perhaps people might be tempted just to pull up in Victoria Street and drop their children off at the kerb.

5 MR MUHA: We can probably look at that. Certainly we'd have to, sort of, discuss it with the traffic consultant as to whether or not this would be an additional case of creating some parking facility in that area.

10 MR PILTON: Okay. Thank you. Wendy, and, Sherie - - -

MS LEWIN: Yes.

MR PILTON: - - - have you any questions?

15 MS LEWIN: I've just got two. Still on traffic, Boris, did - - -

MR MUHA: Yes.

20 MS LEWIN: - - - council consider at any point a single point of entry and exit for the car parks rather than two points of entry and exit?

MR MUHA: Well, I – I think the problem is focused on the fact there's one access – if there's only one access or one exit this is causing the problem of queuing on street and the combination of trying to get the vehicles in and out through this one  
25 exit, and, similarly, the car park itself is not big enough. What happens is a lot of the vehicles are held back, probably queuing back on street in order to try to come in. And also in the terms of exiting, there is also the possible queuing back of vehicles trying to exit out of the street, all due – all due to this one particular access. So providing a secondary access will relieve this problem and hopefully contribute to  
30 improved circulation conditions.

MS LEWIN: Yes. Okay. Well, we – we were just wondering about the impact of a left turn from Jubilee ramp into Victoria and then the incoming traffic from the southern – south-western corner into the car park as well. So there may be equally  
35 queuing or – or – or blocking for some time. It's – it's – perhaps that wasn't considered an issue. I don't know.

MR MUHA: Oh, we would look into it and the – part of the basis of trying to a road safety audit is to look at these sort of movements and then see whether or not we can  
40 adjust the movements somewhat through the road safety audit. So the basis of the road safety audit is there to, sort of, give guidance and matters which probably we're not familiar with and it will be assessed by an independent engineer.

MS LEWIN: Okay. Thank you. It's a – we – we are being asked to consider this  
45 entire application on the basis of the documents that have been provided and all the reports, of course, including traffic and – and engineering requirements. We – we  
- - -

MR MUHA: Yes. So could you please repeat those – those movements again that you've described, please. You said the left turn out.

5 MS LEWIN: Exiting – yes. Exiting from the Jubilee ramp on to Victoria - - -

MR MUHA: Exiting on the ramp - - -

10 MS LEWIN: - - - Street and then, as you move left, coming across traffic that is trying to enter the south-western car park entry.

MR MUHA: Okay. Sure.

15 MS LEWIN: And whether that is a half block traffic movement is going to be disruptive.

MR MUHA: That's all part of the aspect of an operational traffic management plan which is part – is also a condition imposed or which will identify the need to, sort of, manage and control traffic movement, not just entirely inside within the car park but would also be undertaken with – on the street levels areas. So that's something  
20 which we want to, sort of, try to impose on the school to undertake.

MS LEWIN: Yes. Thank you. And – and we appreciate that.

25 MR MUHA: So what – yes. So - - -

MS LEWIN: It also – it also bears on the physical design of the – the proposal. So – but thank you. Yes.

30 MR MUHA: Yes. What I'll do is I will – when I deliberate this with the traffic consultants, the traffic – the applicant's traffic consultant, I'll make him aware of the issues about all these turning movements.

35 MS LEWIN: Thank you very much. My second question is to Noni. Noni, you've identified that some of the buildings on the site have been considered of importance in terms of 20<sup>th</sup> century – perhaps late 20<sup>th</sup> century or mid-20<sup>th</sup> century – educational architecture, and I'm wondering whether you could provide us with a – a list of buildings that council considers are important items.

40 DR BOYD: Yes, we can do that; yes.

MS LEWIN: Thanks, Noni, very much. Good. And – and – and perhaps also not just a list of the buildings but what is considered of significance, interest or importance.

45 DR BOYD: It's the – it's the courtyards as well. It's – it's - - -

MS LEWIN: Yes.

DR BOYD: It's more of a campus thing. So, yes, it's to do with the collegiate, Gothic Revival type of architecture, so it's – it's a campus development that's important.

5 MS LEWIN: Yes. And – understood. Thank you very much.

DR BOYD: Thank you.

MR PILTON: Thank you. Sherie, any comments, questions?

10

DR COAKES: Yes. You've covered some of those, Adrian, but just – just one around pedestrian infrastructure, Boris. Obviously it's proposed as part of the project to upgrade footpaths on Victoria Street, but do council believe additional footpaths require upgrade around the site, or has that been noted with the applicant?

15

MR MUHA: Oh, I think Joe – Joe has probably been able to, sort of – can comment on that one. Yes. I think – believe we are, sort of, improving the pedestrian footpath activity in that area. Joe, are you there? Sorry.

20 DR COAKES: I think Joe can put that comment in writing as well, given his - - -

MR MUHA: Yes. Okay.

DR COAKES: - - - issues – connection issues.

25

MR JAMES: I've – I've just - - -

DR COAKES: And - - -

30 MR JAMES: - - - let Joe back in. Sorry. It's – oh, yes. Over to you, Sherie.

DR COAKES: Okay. No problem. And so, Noni, just around your comments around connection with Yeo Park, just a clarification there for me, if that's okay. Just you're – you're suggesting the importance of linking the school to the park and the rotunda – access to the rotunda.

35

DR BOYD: The park – yes. The site was – the school originally had the whole area coming to that triangular point and then over time it's been subdivided off for housing at one end and the park at the other, but the park – the actual layout of that amazing band rotunda is a, sort of, axial layout and so it would be something that could benefit both the park and the school to have some steps going up into the campus.

40

DR COAKES: Okay. And - - -

45

DR BOYD: And so then it could be closed off at night if it's an issue. It could have gates as well. It could be designed – between the council and the school it could be designed to be something that would be a really good feature.

5 DR COAKES: Okay. And – and just reiterating, given in the department's assessment report obviously they come to a conclusion that given that it's only local significance and that Heritage New South Wales are comfortable with the outcomes, I presumed from the council's perspective you are very keen to ensure that the heritage conservation management plan is prepared.

10 DR BOYD: Yes. Because the – it is still being assessed at a local level and there's some very significant buildings on that site including one by Horbury Hunt who is a very well-known architect. So over time the campus – each time the campus commissioned a new building they had a really good architect design – design the –  
15 the new facility.

DR COAKES: Okay. Okay. Thank you.

MR PILTON: Thank you. Can I just ask another question. There's been a proposal  
20 from the department that there should be some trees planted in Yeo Park on the southern boundary to further screen the multipurpose building. Is the council happy with that, that someone else plants trees in their park, or - - -

MR WILSON: Yes. I can – I can answer that one for the park. Yes. We've had  
25 correspondence with the applicant on that condition and our urban forest teams have outlined support and provided recommendations on the trees.

MR PILTON: Could – could we have a – a copy of that information, please?

30 MR WILSON: Yes. Sure. I'll provide it to you in the bundle.

MR PILTON: If you could, yes. And would the council plant them and the school pay or would the school plant them and the council maintain them or - - -

35 MR WILSON: I will ask the urban forest team. I imagine once they're planted the council will maintain.

MR PILTON: Okay. Thank you.

40 MR WILSON: But I will ask about the planting.

MR PILTON: Okay. Thank you. Can I just ask, Councillor Kiat, do you have any comments or questions or - - -

45 MR KIAT: Yes. Thanks – thanks for the opportunity to have some input. Look, I – I just want to say it's wonderful that our council officers are dealing with these traffic and heritage issues and the contributions issue. I – I think that – that the traffic issue

in particular is something that is really, really important to residents of Dulwich Hill and Summer Hill that live around the area, and it's already causing some problems, although not right well but when – when school goes back to normal and traffic goes back to normal. So it is really, really important that – that the traffic not be worsened  
5 as a result of the development but that it – yes. That I think there needs to be improvements there and – and – and, of course, heritage is very, very important to people in the local area as well.

MR PILTON: Thank you. But I don't know who to answer – to ask this question  
10 of, but does council ever receive any complaints about noise from the school from – like, from local residents, I mean?

MR WILSON: Sorry.

MS ATWAL: Chairman, well, we may have to take that on notice, that question as  
15 – we can have a look into whether we've received complaints; however, normally the complaints associated are with during drop off and pick up around traffic and parking and associated noise from that. It wouldn't – wouldn't be just the, you know, normal operations of the school but we can take that on notice.

20 MR PILTON: Okay. Thank you very much.

DR COAKES: And – and, Adrian, just one more question, if that's okay - - -

25 MR PILTON: Sure. Yes.

DR COAKES: - - - from myself. Obviously the Green Travel Plan is being – is a key strategy to managing the traffic issue as part of the project. I'm just interested whether council's satisfied with the existing – the safety, I suppose, of existing cycle  
30 and walking routes around the school. Obviously they've been defined to facilitate modal change to more – but I've – I've noticed a lot of the cycle routes around the area and around the school site are largely on road. Do you have a comment on – on that?

35 MS ATWAL: Boris, I'll – or, Joe, I may defer that question to yourselves.

MR MUHA: Yes. Oh, it's basically under our bicycle management plan basically a lot of the cycle routes are on road, you share with the traffic. It's very difficult to, sort of, create any off-road paths, particularly in this, sort of, planned development of  
40 Ashfield and it's never been staged wide enough to provide those facilities. I can only – I can only forward this to our traffic planner and question her – a question by her if she can provide any details.

DR COAKES: Okay. Thanks for that.

45 MR PILTON: Thank you.



MR KIAT: Can I just – sorry. That’s another issue that I know that is important to local residents. It’s something – the – the local Ashfield Bicycle User Group has been concerned over a long period about slow progress in relation to cycling infrastructure in the old Ashfield LGA, and so I think this would be a good  
5 opportunity to look at particularly that route that is going from Summer Hill through to Dulwich Hill, connecting to the GreenWay. It’s a really good opportunity to make that safer. It’s a route that I myself use and, yes, I think particularly, you know, if people are using that at drop off and pick up time it can be quite difficult. So having clear markings for cyclists, even if there can’t be a cycling lane, it – it – it would  
10 enhance the safety of the area.

DR COAKES: Thanks, Tom.

MR PILTON: Thank you. All right. Well, have you got any questions or  
15 comments?

MR JAMES: No questions from me, Adrian.

MR PILTON: Okay. Kate? Kate’s still there?  
20

MS K. MOORE: No questions from me. Thanks, Adrian.

MR PILTON: Okay. Thank you.

25 MR JAMES: Oh, Adrian, perhaps I’ll just give Conor a call this afternoon just to discuss the process or this afternoon where it becomes suitable just to discuss the next steps but – yes.

MR PILTON: That would be good. Yes. Okay. Well, in that case we might wrap  
30 this up. Thank you very much, everyone who’s participated from the council, and we look forward to you sending us this further information. Thank you.

DR BOYD: Thank you.

35 MS ATWAL: Thank you. Thank you very much.

MR MUHA: Thank you. Thank you. Bye.

MR WILSON: Thank you.  
40

**MATTER ADJOURNED at 11.20 am ACCORDINGLY**